Monday, September 11, 2017

Week 4: Laser cut award

Laser cut trophy - Baltic Birch, wood glue.
COMPOSITION:
The vector design for my trophy executed well, with no adjustments needed to the design. I used Baltic Birch 1/8" plywood, and glued/clamped the pieces together. It stands easily on its own without tipping over.

CRAFT:
The design consists of vector (the laser cuts) and raster (the laser etches) elements, and took nearly 30 minutes to complete on the laser bed. No fires happened, even with the intricate etching of the buildings and skyline. The typefaces, Reliq and Spring, reproduced well at their respective sizes. I will be coating the piece in lacquer, to give it a finished, glossy look.

CONCEPT:
I will photograph the final version and frame a nice printout for Dr. Battalora. Diana will receive the award, and I hope to get a photo of both Dr. Battalora and Ms. Khattab for them to keep.
I'm really happy with the way the design turned out, specifically the city of Chicago etching. I've received positive feedback regarding that element specifically.

Laser cut trophy (back) - Baltic Birch, wood glue.

No comments:

Post a Comment